Wild fire risk at Paint Lake is greatest from May to September. With public safety and property in mind, here are a few preparations cottagers can do if a wild fire threatens this community.
- If you spot a wild fire, call either Mb. Conservation or Thompson Fire and Emergency Services at 204-677-7911 and report the location of the fire.
- If wild fire threatens your home, have an evacuation plan that each family member knows in advance. Have your vehicle prepared and facing towards the road, ready to go.
- If an evacuation is ordered, take enough items for at least 5 days for the members of your family, including pets. Here is a partial list of items to pack:
- family clothing appropriate for the time of year
- food snacks and pet food
- valuable documents; cash and credit or debit cards
- family medications
- comfort items such as toys or pillows or blankets
- personal kits with soap; cosmetics; toothpaste; etc.
- To protect your home, close all windows and doors. If you have time, connect a sprinkler to your garden hose, and nail it the roof of the house. Do not turn it on, unless the fire is an immediate hazard.
- During an evacuation, drive carefully with your headlights on. Watch for other traffic or pedestrians and emergency vehicles. Do not panic.
- Report to authorities and wait for further instructions.
Prepared by the PLVFD